To work around Xcode’s disinclination for creating new simulators, I wrote a script which deletes all the current simulators and then creates every possible simulator. It’s relatively straightforward because
simctl has a decent JSON interface which makes processing the state a lot nicer:
Code language: Bash (bash)
# Just to make it obvious when using the wrong version printf "Using Xcode at %s\n\n" (xcode-select -p) echo "Deleting all simulators..." xcrun simctl shutdown all >/dev/null xcrun simctl delete all >/dev/null printf "...done\n\n" echo "Creating new simulators..." # You could also add 'appletv' to this list for runtime in ios watch set -l runtimes (xcrun simctl list runtimes $runtime available -j | jq -c '.runtimes') for runtime in $runtimes set -l runtime_version (echo $runtime | jq -r '.version') set -l runtime_identifier (echo $runtime | jq -r '.identifier') set -l supported_devices (echo $runtime | jq -c '.supportedDeviceTypes') for device in $supported_devices set -l device_name (echo $device | jq -r '.name') set -l device_identifier (echo $device | jq -r '.identifier') set -l display_name "$device_name ($runtime_version)" printf \t%s\n $display_name xcrun simctl create $display_name $device_identifier $runtime_identifier >/dev/null end end end printf "...done\n\n"
The only thing missing here is device pairing — connecting a watch and phone together. Since there’s limitations around the number of devices which can be paired together, I find this a bit easier to still do manually.